I have been doing some research on works related to the evaluation of citizen engagement initiatives (technology mediated or not). This is far from exhaustive, but I thought it would be worth sharing with those who stop by here. Also, any help with identifying other relevant sources that I may be missing would be greatly appreciated.
- Abelson, J., & Gauvin, F. P. (2006). Assessing the impacts of public participation: Concepts, evidence and policy implications. Ottawa: Canadian Policy Research Networks.
- Abelson, J., Forest, P. G., Eyles, J., Smith, P., Martin, E., & Gauvin, F. P. (2003). Deliberations about deliberative methods: issues in the design and evaluation of public participation processes. Social science & medicine, 57(2), 239-251.
- Aichholzer, G., & Westholm, H. (2009). Evaluating eParticipation projects: practical examples and outline of an evaluation framework. European Journal of ePractice, 7(3).
- Barnett, A., Dembo D., Verhulst S.G. (2013). Toward Metrics for Re-(Imagining) Governance. GovLab Working Paper.
- Beierle, T. C. (1999). Using social goals to evaluate public participation in environmental decisions. Review of Policy Research, 16(3‐4), 75-103.
- Macintosh, A., & Whyte, A. (2008). Towards an evaluation framework for eParticipation. Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, 2(1), 16-30.
- Macintosh, A., & Whyte, A. (2006, September). Evaluating how eParticipation changes local democracy. In eGovernment Workshop (Vol. 11).
- Mannarini, T., & Talò, C. (2013). Evaluating public participation: instruments and implications for citizen involvement. Community Development, 44(2), 239-256.
- Motsi, G. (2009, June). Evaluating citizen engagement in policy making. InCanadian Society for Evaluation Conference, Institute on Governance (Vol. 2).
- Nabatchi, T. (2012). A manager’s guide to evaluating citizen participation. Washington, DC: IBM Center for the Business of Government.
- Rowe, G., & Frewer, L. J. (2000). Public participation methods: A framework for evaluation. Science, technology & human values, 25(1), 3-29.
- Rowe, G., & Frewer, L. J. (2004). Evaluating public-participation exercises: a research agenda. Science, Technology & Human Values, 29(4), 512-556.